Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Glimmer In the Darkling World

“…Afraid of my own shadow in the face of grace
Heart full of darkness spotlight on my face
There was love all around me but I was lookin' for revenge
Thank God it never found me would have been the end…”
-Tightrope by Stevie Ray Vaughn


She was a beauty to me from the start. An earth goddess from some unfamiliar Gypsy pantheon. I was drawn to her gentle lips and something about her mouth which always forced bare her gleaming teeth, unleashing the most joyous and pleasant smile the world will ever know. Well, dear reader, I had my suspicions, later confirmed, about that grin. Her signal of joy was more that simple amity. It was the sheer ecstasy of recent freedom. Jennifer Devlin had escaped some great and terrible affair. Disarmed with this knowledge, I found myself for some time unable to bear the physical symbol of her release, captured terribly and completely in the brilliant orbit of that shining sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment